Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Tomato Tent



It's actually a good thing I put this  hoop house up for a week. It was a late start on my part, but it turned out to be perfect timing. For one week we had perfect hoop house weather: 55 degree highs and 36 degree lows. 

It reminds me of my first tent I had for backpacking. A little bigger. 

The tomatoes are under there, along with serrano, habanero, and sweet peppers. 

I open this guy up during the very warm, sunny days because it easily gets up to 105 F in there. This is also good for keeping the wind at bay. It's been a windy spring. (A VERY windy spring. I've heard some people say that it's been unusually windy, which is music to my ears, because it's been VERY windy. I really hope that it's not normal.)

The hoop house allows you to fiddle with the temperatures. It keeps things just a bit warmer at night and brings the temperature up during the day when necessary. I've read that tomatoes and peppers like when nighttime temps are above 60 and daytime temps are about 75.


No comments: