Wednesday, June 24, 2009

These are a Few of My Favorite Things

Celosia! It's kind of a bonus. I had the seed from a couple of years ago. It took a long time to germinate, and I'd given up on it. But there it is! I'm excited about my cut flower garden. I usually run out of space for flowers, but in this garden I found four pressure treated timbers buried in a section of the garden, so I had to put inedibles there.



Cilantro! First harvest this week. We put it on venison burritos.



Molly-dog! This is Molly-dog chillin' with a groundhog snack. One hour before this picture was taken, I was chasing the groundhog away (for the fourth time) from what remains of my lettuce. Twenty minutes previous, Chris watched Molly wander toward the groundhog den and asked, "Do you think the dog will catch a groundhog?" Ten minutes before, I was covering the rest of the garden with floating row covers to hide the juicy plants from groundhog view, so as to discourage more pillaging. Then I noticed her chewing on a furry object. I squealed like a little girl (again).

Then I found deer tracks in the tomato plants.

Iced tea! That's not beer in that pint glass and growler. It's too hot for beer! This has little to do with my garden, but with the recent rise in temperature and humidity here, I've rediscovered the wonders of iced tea. Starbucks has "shaken iced tea" on their menu, which is just plain silly, but because it's "shaken" they can charge 2 or 3 bucks for it. It's Tazo Passion iced tea. Whoa! Red, tart, berry goodness. No sugar needed. When I lived in NC, there was a little restaurant called LuLu's in Sylva that served all sorts of wonderful fresh and local food. They also served "Wild Berry Zinger." And when I saw it on the shelf the other day, I was immediately transported back to those hot summer evenings when I'd order one. It's fun to say. Try it. Anyway, both have berries and hibiscus flowers in the tea. I don't have any hibiscus in my garden, but I'm adding it to my future to-do garden list.



No comments: