Sunday, March 7, 2010

Finally, Some Gardening!

  The sun is causing delirium here. It struck yesterday and the entire household (both of us) suddenly rushed to scrounge trays and pots from out in the garden and under the snow. We dug through the piles of seeds stuffed into the corners of the refrigerator. We threw 'bows to score the best spot in the sun to do our pot-filling and seed stuffing. I cut up some of my best "tupperware" to make labels. 
  
(No leopards were harmed in the making of this blog.)

  I started onions and celery. I'm pretty much certain, after reading all I can find about celery, that it's bound to fail. Maybe I'll at least get close... or know that I never need to try it again. Its ancestor is a marsh-loving plant. It needs steady, plentiful water, rich soils, and Goldilocks-and-the-Three-Bears kinds of temperatures. I picked the seeds because this variety "takes the difficulty out of growing celery." Perfect! We'll just see.
  The onions are Red Marbles. I found a pile of a hundred marbles in the garden last spring, so I figured... Actually, they are long-day types for northern latitudes, which mean they grow roots and leaves until the days get to their longest, then they focus their energies on the bulbs. They're supposed to be good storing onions.
 The ground is still snow-covered. The bluebirds are singing like crazy in the front yard. The cardinals are noisy too. The woodpeckers are drumming. We're still on the look-out for our first red-winged blackbird here.
    

1 comment:

Molly said...

Correction: Just heard a red-winged blackbird on my run.